Friday, January 4, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness 2013

I usually do not make New Year's resolutions. I break them or forget about them. This hear however I made one and this is why. I was in the grocery store last week and the fella in front of me had on a jacket that said Viet Nam Vet. I tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Thank you for your service". He instantly got a surprised look on his face and said "thank you". Then he ask me if I knew someone that served there, to which I said yes. I am 62 and was in high school during the war. A lot of classmates went off to that war after graduation in 1968 because of the draft. This could be a topic for another blog post another time. It was the look on the man's face that prompted me to my resolution this year. He was thankful that I had said something. I could tell just by how he looked at me. I always say thank you to veterans if I know they are veterans. Either by a hat or jacket or some other sign. I have bought lunch for two police officers in the past year that were in front or behind me in line at a drive through. I even bought carnations one time for all the girls working the window's at McD's. No reason other than I wanted them to know someone cared enough to brighten up their day. Now I am not saying this for pats on the back. If anything I would hope that it encourages others to think about it and do something similar for someone too. This is my resolution for 2013; Do a random act of kindness as often as possible, preferably every day. Today a friend had volunteered to work the book sale at the local library. She has trouble seeing after dark so I took her, helped with the book sale and then drove her home. No big deal to me, but it helped her. A couple of years ago I had pulled in to get gas. It was a fairly cold day. The lady in front of me was taking a while to get out of her car when I noticed a fresh cast on the first foot out of the door followed by a pair of crutches. So I got out and pumped her gas for her. She was so appreciative and dumbfounded at the same time. I just told her maybe she could do a kindness for someone else sometime. As a child you hear people tell you that it is not about getting gifts but giving gifts. Well as a child you believe that to be a bunch of crap. You want to be the receiver not the giver. That is just being a child. Maybe it is because I am 62 now but I would much rather give. I love the look on my grandson's faces when I give them something. When I do a random act of kindness. Yes I'll say it, I get that warm fuzzy feeling in my heart. Next post will be about a book I bought for fifty cents at the book sale today. The best fifty cents I have ever spent. I am lucky I got it before some 9 year old boy. It is that kind of book. What's it called? All about Poop. See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog Ruthanne! Too bad the world doesn't have more people like you.

    ReplyDelete