Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Best Gifts of All

Yesterday was one of the nicer days I have had in quite a while. With Christmas being such a busy time of year I did not get together with my two sisters. They were busy as was I. My youngest sister and I talk and see each other quite often. My other sister, still younger than me, works harder than most anyone I know. She and her husband have their own business so they are basically on call all of the time. It is very difficult for her to get away for a couple of hours for lunch or to visit. Yesterday we finally made it. We met for lunch at a local place that is right on a river. Nothing fancy but right in the middle of where we live and nice to watch the birds there. I have to say it was so nice to be able to visit with them both for the time we were there. We exchanged gifts and I feel as though I really made out. They both had gotten me lovely things. One sister got me two scarves which I just love. The other sister got me a brooch that matched one of the scarves. She had no idea about the scarf, it just matched. She knows how attached I am about my grandsons so she also got me a photo frame that says, I love my grand-kids. I can't wait to put pictures in it. But the couple of things I got that really touched my heart were these. I love to play a word game like scrabble on Facebook. I have to say that I am addicted to it. Not good at it but addicted. Last summer my younger sister found me two mugs that say SCRABBLE on them. I use them all the time. So for Christmas she found two mug/bowls that match. I absolutely love them. So now in the morning when I have my yogurt,granola and fruit I can put that in the bowl and my coffee in the matching cup. My other young sister found at a garage sale a 1952 WOMAN'S DAY magazine. Price, 7 cents on the cover. It is near perfect condition considering it is 60 years old. I love that kind of stuff. I was only two when the magazine came out but remember just about everything in it. Some I commented on which both sisters just looked at me like I was nuts. For instance there is an add for Tampax. I said wow that was when they were still cardboard. For those of you who are young you may only know of this product with plastic applicators. Nope, they used to be cardboard and straight across the top, not curved. Enough on that. There are short stories, recipes, patterns to sew as well as knit and crochet. It is the kind of magazine women would look forward to each month. It would take a month to get through it. I have, as I have mentioned before, a difficult time adding photos to this blog. If I can get my hubby to help I will see what I can do. Speaking of hubby, the same sister got him an old train magazine with my Woman's Day. He liked that a bunch. A book came from the other sister. Of all the gifts I received from them I have to admit the bowls and Magazine were the two that touched my heart the most along with being able to spend a little time with them both. I plan to put the magazine out so I can see it every day. And of course I will use my bowls every day as well. So Thank you Kelly Jo, and Patty Sue for my wonderful Christmas presents and your gift of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment