Thursday, December 22, 2011

Pass it Forward

Only three more days until Christmas. I think everyone has memories of Christmas that either thrill you or make you hate the 25th. of December:Sometimes it is both. As a child my first six years of Christmas's were awesome. I lived with my grand parents and was the first grand daughter so I pretty much got way too much. Then the "Event" happened. My mom re-married. I am not going to go into the trauma of all that because it is past not to mention a bummer. Like so many other families just starting out with another baby coming every other year, money was tight. I never went without and usually got one really cool gift. Like my first cigarette pack size transistor radio. It was turquoise. I was in heaven. I also got an intercom set one year. Being a bit sneaky I could set one in the kitchen and one in my room and listen to what was being said after I went to bed. All I had to do was tape down a button on the kitchen unit. I thought I was being very sneaky. Those were the two standouts for a very long time while I was still at home. Once I was married I got lovely gifts from the hubby of course. Although the one gift I remember the most was not from him it was from a cousin. As I said I lived with my grandparents from the time I was born until about age 7. My grandma had started a Sun Bonnet Girl quilt for me before I was born. She only got the top done. It was neatly folded and put away never to be seen again. When I was in High School she showed it to me and then put it away again. After my grandparents both passed away there was an auction of all of their belongings. To me it was a selling of most of my childhood memories. It was a tough day for me. I was able to get a few pieces of furniture that were between old and antique for a song. I still have them. However, in the auction was the box with my quilt top in it. I did not get it, my aunt did. Well I knew it was gone for good and just had to get over it. My cousin T. and I were quite close during the my first years of marriage. She lived nearby with a little one and one on the way. I will guess it was in the mid to late 70's. I don't really remember the circumstances, like if she came over and gave me the gift or left it under the tree. I think it was the first. T gave me a box all gift wrapped. I opened it and there inside was my quilt top. Her mom was the one who had bought it and how T. got it I did not ask. All I know is that it was probably the most thoughtful gift I have ever received. I still have it and my goal this year is to get it finished. I want to hang it on my wall in my bedroom. So now it is time to pay it forward. The following people have to remain nameless. They will be referred to as A and B. A has a relative that needed support. A good home, positive reinforcement and a feeling of being wanted. And also makes sure that B goes to school, has clothes, a phone, a place to live and food. B is of the age that these things are important. B has no cash. I just thought of this fact today. I am going to take B shopping tomorrow so that B can get A something for Christmas. I think that is important. I remember being able to go shopping and buying something with my own money for someone else. It is about the giving and not the getting. I just hope that someday B will remember this and pass it on to someone else.

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog and look forward to reading more. The A and B story sounds wonderful and confirms that it is in giving that we rceive. I am always reminded that "whatsoever you do for the least of my brethern, that you do onto me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. T pleaded for it, reminding the aunt that it was rightfully yours. "Ask and ye shall receive" T brought it over, and you cried so hard T had to ask your hubby if she'd done the wrong thing as you had just gone through a very traumatic experience. T is glad to know it was the right thing.

    ReplyDelete