Friday, January 20, 2012

Free haircuts to Indiana legislators

Boy am I hot today. Yes I agree that the temperature outside is very cold and it is snowing. As for me though, I am hot. Why you ask? Well here goes. I get email Senate updates from the state that I live in (Indiana). They let me know what is going on as far as what bills are in committee and so on. Our state is going crazy right now over Right to Work. That is all I have heard about for months. I got a survey in the mail from my representative asking how I feel about a lot of things, but never what I am hot about. I graduated from high school in 1968. I received a scholarship to attend a school of cosmetology. It was about 30 miles from where I lived, and it was not the one I wanted to go to. There was a particular school in my area that was highly regarded as the premier school to attend if you wanted to be a cosmetologist. So as per my temperament I told my mom that I was not going to accept the scholarship. To which she replied, then you go to work to pay for it yourself. So I did. I got a job as a nurses aid at a local hospital. Nursing was my second choice for a profession back then. At that time you would spend two or three weeks being trained by hospital staff on how to make a bed with a person in it. How to give a sponge bath. How to feed a patient. How to do most everything that was not invasive to a patient except of course, enemas. If you worked midnights which I did you got to prep everyone for tests the next day. This included enemas. Also in 68 they still used oxygen tents. When the patient is finished using one they have to be taken to a large tub with very hot water and special soap and scrubbed, rinsed and dried. Kind of a pain in the, well you know. I worked on a medical/isolation floor. We got cancer patients, older folks from nursing homes and so on. One particular case was a young woman who had been hit by a semi. The crash caused her to loose both legs below the knee. That is until the infection set in. After three or four surgeries, she had lost both legs just below her crotch. She was in isolation so that she did not get infected by someone.Gearing up to get into isolation is a real task. Gown, mask, rubber gloves, booties and a hair covering. Now you have to give the person a bath dressed in all of this. Ever try to change a bed with rubber gloves on? Takes some time. It was hard, sad and rewarding work. I learned a lot that year. I also earned the money to go to "Beauty School". I had to drive about as far to the school that I wanted to go to as the other one I rejected, but in a better area. At that time you had to go for 1,000 hours and have passed all required classes. You might be surprised at what you have to know just to be a hairdresser. Anatomy, chemistry, safety, health laws and the obvious how to cut, color, style and perm hair. I finally made it, passed my state board exam and then had to work for a master cosmetologist for six months. Now for those of you who are old enough you will remember that in the late 60's early 70's hairspray was king, partly why I have asthma. Women would get their hair done on Friday. You would spray the heck out of it. and it stayed until the next Friday when they came back to get you hair done again. OMG,talk about funky. Stand on your feet all day getting your hands wet and dry all day long. Giving perms(ammonia based) with bleeding fingers was not real fun. Then the state decided that in order to renew your license, you had to take continuing education classes. So even if you were not working if you wanted to keep your license you would have to pay and take classes first. So why am I so pissed off you ask? I see on Face Book today that the legislature was voting on doing away with licensing Cosmetologist, Barbers and nail tech's. I am not sure yet if it passed. I have to do more looking. But what are they thinking? Do you want someone working on your scalp with chemicals that they have no idea what they are working with? I think I am going to offer free haircuts to any legislator that wants one. Revenge can be sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment